RACESAFE’s concept began in the mid 90’s and the team quickly developed in size whilst working at many Victorian motorsport events. The early days of RACESAFE brought together some the most talented motorsport emergency people available, some of which had 15 - 20 years experience in motorsport safety. The team provided emergency services and safety operations to 12 events in its first year including V8 Supercar rounds and Australian Road Racing Championships as it developed its reputation mainly focussing on events at Winton Motor Raceway.
The success of the RACESAFE multi-skilled system quickly found the team providing their professional services for events across the country. Requests soon had the team travelling to the Mt. Panorama, Bathurst circuit and abroad to such places as the USA and Middle East.
RACESAFE Director of Emergency Services, Simon Maas was the visionary of the RACESAFE concept. After travelling to the USA on many occasions and working at the famous tracks of Indianapolis, Simon found the inspiration for the RACESAFE concept while working with NASCAR, NHRA, USAC and World of Outlaws, four of the USA’s biggest motorsport series. Simon developed new technical knowledge, philosophies and expertise that would later become the foundation of a new revolution in Australian motorsport safety.
Since its inception, RACESAFE has had a broad appeal to Australian Motorsport. Whilst initially known as a car racing focussed organisation, it actually has a long history of both car and bike projects. From the days of Australian Touring Car Championship (pervious to V8’s) joining with Australian Road Racing (pervious to Superbikes) as 2 wheel + 4 wheel events and our long association with Historic Winton’s 2+4 format, our passion for both cars and bikes goes back to the beginning of RACESAFE and runs deep in the fabric of the RACESAFE team.
In the last 10 years RACESAFE has become extremely well known for pioneering medical services to Australia’s biggest motorcycle racing championships. These developments to bike racing have been at International standard and have saved countless lives and racing careers.
More recently the continued evolution of the RACESAFE Medical Team and its operations has included the construction of the Asia Pacific region’s first motorsport Mobile Medical Unit. This ground breaking revolution to Australia motorsport was developed by RACESAFE.
Our International projects have seen travels to the Middle East to develop Bahrain’s Formula 1 Medical compliance for FIA approval and more recently multiple projects in Asia Pacific region. RACESAFE has also established a shared knowledge agreement with the US based Asterisk’s Mobile Medical team as RACESAFE team members head to the USA working at AMA Supercross and motocross events.
RACESAFE’s focus for an international standard of care for Australia fastest athletes has seen further evolution away from the racetrack. RACESAFE now provides expert clinical care and athlete support with the RACESAFE National Medical Support Network. Ensuring injured motorsport competitors can gain access to elite level and preferential care and treatment from the country’s leading healthcare professionals.
This network of support including Orthopaedic Surgeons, General Surgeons, Neurosurgeons, Sports Medicine Specialist, Physiotherapists, Sports Physiologists and Sports Psychologists.
Today, RACESAFE is proud to be the Official Medical & Safety Team for these major events:
RACESAFE Medical, Safety and/or Recovery operations over many years have include the provision of specialised personnel and equipment for such events as,
- Australian Grand Prix
- World Superbike Championships
- Australian Superbike Championship
- Australian Motocross Championship
- Australasian Supercross Championship
- V8 Supercar Series – Sandown 500
- V8 Supercar Series – Winton 300
- Rally of Canberra – FIA Asia Pacific Rally Championship
- Red Bull X-Fighters Sydney
- FIM World Trials - Grand Prix of Australia
- FIM World Sidecar Championships - Australia
- Troy Bayliss International Classic
- Australian ArenaX Championships
- Red Bull FMX Camp – Australia
- Shannons Nationals Motor Racing Championships
- Leminz – 24 hour Scooterthon
- Victorian Motor Racing Championship
- Victorian Rally Championship
- Australian Motor Racing Series
- Victorian Motorcycle Championships
- NSW Motorcycle Championships
- Hartwell Motorcycle Club – Stars of Tomorrow
- Victorian Road Racing Championships
- Victorian Interclub Motorcycle Championship
- Winton Motor Raceway
- Sandown International Raceway
- Calder Park Raceway
- Queensland Raceway
- Phillip Island Grand Prix Circuit
- Australian Motorsport Show
- Trading Post Grand Prix Rally
- Shannons Historic Classic
- Geelong Speed Trials
- Winter Classic Rally
- Austin 7 Club – Historic Winton
- Porsche Club of Victoria
- Heartland Raceway
- Rolling Thunder Raceway
In 2012, RACESAFE celebrated 15 years of motorsport safety as it continues to set new standards of safety for Australian motorsport.